Though a lot of hosts can satisfy Magento's basic requirements for hosting, Magento stores possess unique needs in comparison to other websites on the different platforms available like WooCommerce or Joomla. This is especially true if your eCommerce store receives a lot of shoppers (traffic) or/and has a lot of products in stock.
For this reason, it is crucial to choose a web host service that goes beyond the minimum requirements for Magento hosting in terms of functionality. And that can assist your Magento online store load reliably and quickly.
There are certain vital features that your hosting provider must possess. For instance, Is the web hosting service server’s location close enough to where your primary audience resides? What is the loading speed of your hosting provider and can its server handle overloads? Also, what is the compatibility of such hosting offers with Magento? And does the hosting solution provide security features such as SSL certificates, two-factor authentication, dedicated firewall, IP Whitelisting, etc? What about factors like ssd storage and Magento optimization?
To choose the best host for your Magento website you need to answer the above questions and others as we’ll see in this roundup. That said, the exact features of a hosting service depend primarily on the plan that you choose. And the best plan for your business is dependent on numerous factors like your total monthly visitors, the number of items you offer, etc.
To ease the process for you, in this roundup we've collected 7 of the best Magento hosting providers in the UK, including options for professional stores that can pay for the service in hundreds of dollars monthly as well as affordable options for starter online stores or individuals who have small stores with Magento.
This is to help you make the right host decision for your website. But first, we will answer a couple of questions.
Let's get started.
Why is Finding the Best Magento Hosting in the UK Important?
Magento's arguably the second most popular CMS used by thousands of e-commerce websites. Global brands such as Paul Smith, Christian Louboutin, Caskers, and PePe jeans use the platform. Most businesses pick the CMS for scalability, flexibility, and international sales. However, these amazing features will lose their significance if your web hosting isn't strong enough to handle your website. This is why picking the wrong web host for your Magento store can result in major website problems or technical issues.
What to Know Before Choosing Hosting Providers
Before we get to the hosting services it is crucial to let you know that Magento offers 2 editions:
- Commerce: The Commerce edition allows you to buy and receive features such as page builder, cloud delivery, and B2B features.
- Open Source: The open-source edition can be downloaded for free and you will need to create your website from scratch.
Recently, the commerce edition was called Adobe Commerce. And by purchasing the commerce license you don't have to bother about your hosting because it comes already integrated with hosting and Cloud services. However, this version would work best for enterprise-level brands as it is priced from $22,000 per year. The free open-source version is great as well and can handle a powerful website that holds many products and receives high traffic as well as provides custom features.
That said, with the Open Source version you need to get and maintain your hosting yourself. And the choice has to be right. MagentO does not have band limits, however, certain hosting plans aren't scalable enough to succeed and survive during high traffic spikes; your hosting service must be prepared for such. So in making a poor choice you risk losing out on powerful Magento features offered by the platform, spending cash on unneeded resources and even losing prospects.
SiteGround offers excellent security, customer service, and support. This hosting service also provides automatic Magento installation via Softaculous for free. One of its major selling points is its affordability, as in comparison to other hosting providers on this list, SiteGround's Magento plans are affordable, especially due to their introductory discounts available. Simply put, it provides the best value for money with regards to the features offered.
Some of the primary features of this best Magento host in the UK include automatic upgrades, Ultra-fast PHP, GIT version control, one-click staging, unmetered traffic, daily backup, unlimited databases, out-of-the-box caching, and much more. The hosting service also has servers globally and is one of the few Magento hosts that provide location-specific hosting. SiteGround has data centers in Europe, UK, the United States, and Asia.
With regards to speed, SiteGround is extremely fast even in high traffic spikes. Its server response time makes it one of the speediest hosts. SiteGround also allows you to upgrade to a higher plan or downgrade to a lower plan quite easily. This allows for easy scalability as youR store expands. Customer support is top-notch for all their plans as well.
SiteGround offers 3 plans for Magento users:
SiteGround offers 3 major plans, which offer similar features but in increasing capacity. The higher plans have additional features such as priority support, on-demand backup copies, white label clients,and staging + GIT.
- Startup: This plan costs $4.99 per month
- GrowBig: GrowBig costs $7.99 per month.
- GoGeek: This plan costs $14.99 per month.
- SiteGround provides very fast servers.
- Free SSL and CDN
- This hosting provider offers customer support 24/7 on the phone, live chat, and email.
- It has a sizable number of server locations.
- If you choose the monthly billing you have to pay a setup fee.
- SiteGround's storage space is limited, though it's huge, it's still limited.
SiteGround is best for Magento users in the UK with small to mid-sized traffic, who require an affordable option that's feature-packed.
Nexcess offers a managed Magento hosting service focused on scaling, security, and speed. Nexcess provides features like dedicated IP addresses, instant auto-scaling staging, on-demand performance troubleshooting tests for website speed improvement, and advanced caching for super-fast loading. They even offer a built-in CDN that provides 22 locations. So if you have global traffic this is an excellent option.
There is also constant security monitoring and support 24/7 from Magento experts. This best hosting service in the UK also provides an introductory offer that saves you 50% in the cost of the initial 4 months of your Nexcess managed Magento subscription.
Every plan also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. Compared to options like SiteGround, Nexcess is a bit more expensive and also offers limited disk space starting from 50GB. You can also only support 20 concurrent users if you choose its cheapest plan.
That said, a great aspect is that all plans can hold more than one domain name starting at 10 domains for the first plan. And all plans also offer free Magento site migrations and are PCI-compliant.
Nexcess offers 6 pricing plans as the below. Each plan increases with regards to concurrent users, disk space, number of domains permitted, and bandwidth:
- XS: The XS plan costs $49 per month.
- S: This plan costs $99 per month.
- M: M costs $179 per month.
- L: The L plan costs $299 per month.
- XL: This plan costs $549 a month.
- XXL: the XXL plan costs $849 per month.
- Nexcess offers over 20 server locations via CDN, which boosts the speed of your website.
- Nexcess is a PCI-compliant host service, which means you can process payments securely and safeguard your customers' data.
- 24/7 support is available via email, chat, and on the phone as well as platform specialists with Magento expertise ready to help.
- Free Magento migration is available in all plans.
- Concurrent users are limited
- Disk space is limited
- Compared to some options on this list, this web host provider is priced on the high-end.
This plan is great for e-commerce website owners who have more than one store, intend to scale, and a global audience.
Hostinger is one of the best hosting services in the UK for Magento that offers a free domain alongside some of its plans in your first year. Hostinger's plans can cater to medium size traffic (anywhere from 10,000 monthly users to 100,000 monthly).
Some of its compelling features include storage starting from 30GB, dedicated IP, free SSL certificate, build assistance from Magento experts and a custom control panel. There are other major perks of using Hostinger as your Magento like its cache manager that enables quick load times and speed, PHP configuration, and multiple PHP versions availability.
For the higher plans, you have daily backups, free domain registration, and SSH access.
Hostinger has powerful features that make for a great Magento hosting service and that at an affordable cost. Its pricing is a lot similar to SiteGround in terms of affordability.
Hostinger offers 3 primary plans with most of its plans offering the same features but with an increment in capacity with the higher plans:
- Single Plan: The Single plan costs $1.39 per month. This plan does not include daily backups and SSH access.
- Premium Plan: The Premium plan costs $2.59 per month. It does not include daily backups.
- Business Plan: The Business plan costs $3.99 per month and includes daily backups.
All plans offer 24/7 support via live chat.
- Hostinger provides 24/7 customer support to users via live chat.
- There's a free domain that comes alongside the Premium and Business plan.
- All plans have weekly backups.
- It's very affordable.
- Only the Business plan offers daily backups.
- Hostinger uses a custom panel and while it's easy to use, users who are more familiar with cPanel may have to figure it out first.
Hostinger is great for Magento users in the UK who are searching for an affordable option with ample features.
Scala Hosting has been around since 2007 and supports 700,000+ websites across 120+ countries. It's a cloud-based hosting service that promises 24/7/365 high speed and security and is well-reviewed on Trustpilot with a 4.9/5 score. On top of that, Scala Hosting has won several awards, including the Forbes Best VPS Host in 2023.
More specifically, Scala offers a managed cloud VPS service for Magento users. It gives you a free domain (for a year) for every Magento hosting account and a free SSL certificate. It also provides server management, including maintenance, software installation, hardware setup, resolving technical issues, etc.
Users also get access to the SPanel. Scala engineers set up your SPanel for you, giving you all the tools you need to manage your ecommerce platform, including creating and managing individual accounts, email hosting, website backups, installing WordPress, and 400+ additional web applications.
Magento users can also migrate to Scala for free without downtime. Support is 24/7 via live chat or support ticket, and Scala offers an anytime unconditional money-back guarantee.
Scala offers four plans for Magento users where unmetered bandwidth comes as standard. At the time of writing, a discount was offered on each program, but the discount percentage varied depending on the plan. The packages are as follows:
- Entry Cloud: $14.95/mo, a 40% discount (was $24.95); this comes with two CPU cores, two GB RAM, and 50 GB NVMe SSD
- Premium Cloud #1: $29.95/mo, a 36% discount (was $46.95); this comes with the above, plus: Four GB RAM.
- Premium Cloud #2: $63.95/mo, a 21% discount (was $80.85), this unlocks: Four CPU cores, eight GB RAM, and 100 GB NvMe SSD
- Premium Cloud #3: $121.95/mo, a 12% discount (was $138.95); this unlocks: eight CPU cores, 16 GB RAM, and 150 GB NvMe SSD.
- Access to 24/7 support
- The SPanel dashboard is easy to view and understand
- Free domain name for the first year
- Free domain comes with all plans
- Automatic daily site backups
- Free Magento migration is available with no downtime
- Scala’s product offering is pretty broad, so if you’re new to web hosting, it can be a steep learning curve
- The pricing structure is somewhat complicated
Scala is best for UK Magento users seeking reputable and reliable website hosting, who understand how hosting works, want free and fast migration, and would prefer 24/7 support.
You can't draft a list on hosting in general without GoDaddy, simply because the host service is ubiquitous. However, most times they're synonymous with affordable pricing and not stellar performance. But in this case, when compared to the other Magento hosting providers in the UK, GoDaddy is quite expensive.
That said, GoDaddy for Magento offers a couple of compelling features such as its one-click installer. So if you're starting in the eCommerce space, Godaddy's hosting will enable you to get started without a lot of hassle. You also have the option of purchasing SSL certificates and domain names as well so you can keep everything in the same provider.
In terms of speed and security for high-end Magento stores, GoDaddy isn't the best option but if you're a newbie it offers a lot of features to help you get on your feet. GoDaddy is also completely PCI-compliant, which implies that your customers' payments are secure with the host. That said, if your eCommerce store requires card details from consumers then the user has to assess it themselves for PCI-compliance.
Some other great features of GoDaddy include a 99% uptime guarantee, daily website backups, and automatic account setup.
GoDaddy offers a couple of business plans but it features one especially for Magento called Grow. The plan costs £25.99 per month in your first year and then £52.99 to renew it. The Grow plan features unmetered traffic, unlimited databases and websites, and free unlimited SSL.
- GoDaddy provides the industry-standard cPanel for app installation, security, and backup management.
- All plans include a 1-click installation.
- This Magento hosting in the UK offers unmetered traffic, databases, and websites.
- GoDaddy isn't the fastest with regards to load speed.
- Limited storage on the Magento plan.
- Compared to others on this list it is expensive.
This plan is best for users who want a fast way to launch their eCommerce store.
Bluehost is one of the oldest web hosting providers on this list. The brand features stellar support, and high-speed servers that the top Magento hosts offer. Bluehost provides tons of hosting plans that satisfy the needs of large businesses and small ones alike. Bluehost handles high traffic effectively without affecting the load time of your eCommerce store.
They feature a one-click installation as well for setup speed. This Magento host in the UK also uses the standard cPanel for hosting management. For support, Bluehost has a huge collection of videos and written guides to aid you. They also provide phone support and live chat.
BlueHost offers 4 primary hosting plans:
- Basic: This Magento hosting plan costs $2.95 per month. Renewal costs $8.99 per month.
- Plus: The Plus plan costs $5.45 per month. After the first year, this plan costs $11.99.
- Choice Plus: The Choice Plus costs $5.45 per month. Renewal for this plan costs $16.99.
- GoPro: This plan costs just $13.95 per month for the first year. Renewal costs $26.99.
- BlueHost provides a free domain name after sign-up.
- This Magento host guarantees 99.97% uptime.
- BlueHost has a wide range of plans that can accommodate users across different budgets.
- Upselling during signup is very aggressive and you may have to uncheck the unnecessary ones.
- Domain renewal price is quite high.
This plan is best for Magento users who intend to scale their store.
Cloudways provides a special approach to Magento website hosting in the UK. Rather than offer their hosting infrastructure, the service allows you to pick your preferred cloud hosting from numerous services available such as Google Cloud, Vultr, DigitalOcean, AWS, and Linode.
After you pick your hosting provider and the Cloud VPS resources you intend to use, Cloudways handles the setting up and secures it to ensure you safely run your Magento website, inclusive of dedicated installers for Magento 1 and 2.
This enables you to get great performance at an affordable cost. That said, it does add a tad bit of complexity to its ease of use. So if you're a hobbyist, this isn't the best choice.
Some of its major features include full-page caching for Magento 1 stores, alongside additional caching options like Memcached, Redis, and Varnish, automatic backups, global CDN add-on, automatic backups, one-click vertical scaling, and 24/7 support through ticket or live chat.
Cloudways offers 2 major Magento plans with individual pricing options within them:
- Standard Plan: The Standard plan offers 6 plans within it. The most popular plan costs $40 per month and features 80GB storage and 4TB bandwidth. The cheapest standard plan costs $10 per month and features 25GB storage and 1TB bandwidth.
- Premium Plan: The Premium plan offers 5 plans within it. And its most popular plan costs $50 per month. The cheapest premium plan costs $12 per month.
- Cloudways gives you the option of choosing your cloud hosting.
- All plans include 24/7 customer support.
- CDN add-on is available to boost speed.
- All Cloudways plans are optimized with advanced cache options.
- Cloudways uses a Magento hosting stack for improved loading times.
- Cloudways pricing is quite expensive for their popular Magento plans. However, the starter plans are quite affordable.
- Cloudways may present complexities for basic users who don't know much about hosting.
This plan is best for Magento users in the UK who want a lot of flexibility and a plan tailored to Magento alone.
Web Hosting Hub provides some compelling features for Magento hosting such as hassle-free zero-downtime Magento transfer, 1-click Magento installation, and free customizable themes.
Beyond this, it offers help from technicians who are experts in the Magento community as well. Plus, this hosting service features a $150 free ad credit to use on Yahoo! And Bing.
You'll also get what most Magento hosting providers have such as a free domain, free SSD, free SSL, unlimited MySQL & PostgreSQL databases, unlimited bandwidth, and storage. However, backups cost $1 per month.
A great feature of Web Hosting Hub is the ability to choose the best server location for your eCommerce store. There are a couple of free bonus tools the provider also includes to boost your store, such as a website builder to personalize your store's appearance and being able to add blogs.
Web Hosting Hub offers 3 pricing plans for its Magento hosting:
- Spark: The Spark plan is a great starter plan that provides quick setup and costs $7.99 per month if you opt for 1 year but $5.99 per month if you choose to pay for 3 years.
- Nitro: The Nitro plan is best for small businesses and costs $9.99 per month if you opt for 1 year but $7.99 per month if you opt for 3 years.
- Dynamo: This plan offers the most resources and is built for deeply dynamic websites and costs $11.99 per month if you opt for 1 year but $9.99 if you choose 3 years.
- Web Hosting Hub offers a free domain for every plan.
- You get $150 of free advertising credits for Yahoo! And Bing.
- It includes a 1-click Magento installer.
- If you don't subscribe for 3 years the pricing is considerably higher for the plan chosen.
- Web Hosting Hub requires additional fees for security and automatic backups.
- Web Hosting Hub at times requires additional details like a phone call to verify your account.
Web Hosting Hub is best for starter Magento users who are searching for an affordable Magento-focused hosting provider in the UK.
Finding the best Magento hosting in the UK for your eCommerce store is crucial to providing your customers with the best experience necessary. Options like SiteGround and Nexcess, for example, provide quick load times and server response due to their many server locations and out-of-the-box caching feature. Nexcess again is PCI-compliant, which means you can process consumer payments securely without being concerned about their safety.
Other options like Cloudways and Web Hosting Hub offer user flexibility like allowing you to choose your cloud host out of numerous options such as Google Cloud, Vultr, and AWS.
So choosing the best hosting provider for your Magento website is primarily dependent on your specific needs. If all you want is affordability, Hostinger, BlueHost, and SiteGround are great choices. However, if you're bothered about payment processing you'd want to go for a host like Nexcess that is PCI-compliant. Simply match your website goals with the features of the hosting provider.