If your website receives traffic primarily from outside the United States then you probably know the challenges that most people face when deciding on the best WordPress hosting UK option for a specific situation.
Simply put, are the usual choices of the WordPress hosting industry still the best options if your audience is not in the USA? Or what if you're searching for the best WordPress hosting in the UK? Are the usual favorites like Kinsta and SiteGround still the best options?
In our comparison roundup, we'll cover the best WordPress hosting UK options, and what to look out for when choosing your host.
Why Consider the Best WordPress Hosting UK Options for your WordPress Website?
It's important to consider your WordPress hosting provider’s server location. A server location is the geographical space of the data center that hosts your website. Server locations can be anywhere globally. But when picking a hosting provider you must consider the location of your target audience.
For example, if your brand is located in the United States but your primary audience is based in the United Kingdom, it is a best practice to pick the server that is close to the location of your audience. This is because the server location affects website availability and speed.
When a visitor clicks through to your website, the data goes through the data center to the individual's computer via networks. And the goal of picking the closest data center to your audience is to transfer data through the fastest network paths or shortest latency.
Server location is a vital factor in knowing your website loading speed. If the servers of your website are hosted far away then visitors could experience data transfer delays. And the result will be website latency. The closer the server to your target audience the shorter the transfer of data distance needed.
If your website loads slowly, this could affect your search engine optimization as visitors would simply bounce off your page. Also, hosting your website in particular regions imposes certain legal rules and regulations that you must abide by before permission to store your data in such locations. For example, some nations may prevent storing sensitive user data on web hosting services. And if you do not comply with such laws, you could face financial repercussions.
What Primary Features Do I Consider for a WordPress Hosting Provider?
A great web hosting provider would use a content-delivery network, which is a group of servers distributed globally. This aids in minimizing latency by cutting down the physical distance between the user and the server. A CDN stores a cached version of your site's content in numerous geographical locations. Without this, the primary server must respond to every user request, and this overwhelms the servers, which results in slow data transfer.
The above reasons are why you should consider the best WordPress hosting UK options with CDN for your website if your audiences are based in the location or region. That said, most hosting solutions offer this and some as we’ll see have hosting packages that boost the CDN effect.
Hosting Platform Speed
Speed is one of the most crucial factors to consider when choosing a WordPress host. And now while factors like the presence of a CDN and the server location aid in speed, some website hosts are simply slower in particular locations than in others. And this is due to numerous reasons. So you need to be certain that your chosen best WordPress hosting UK option provides great speed in the United Kingdom as well.
With the above said, let’s have a look at the best WordPress hosting options:
SiteGround is one of the most affordable and feature-packed services in this best WordPress hosting UK options list. Customers on the cheapest plan can host 1 site with 10 GB of storage space and cater to 10,000 visitors per month. Also, all plans come with easy and free WordPress installation. After installing WordPress, with the WordPress status site wizard you can get your website up and running immediately.
SiteGround also stands apart in that all its updates are managed automatically. So you just need to focus on your website and SiteGround ensures that their backend is updated and functioning with the same version of your WordPress website.
Beyond this, SiteGround runs on the high-speed Google Cloud Platform and offers powerful caching technology – with super cacher available on every plan, and in-house innovations that include image and front-end optimizations with ultra-fast PHP, free SiteGround optimizer plug-in, faster MySQL setup, and lots more.
SiteGround also provides amazing security with daily backups stored in unique geographical locations, artificial intelligence anti-bot against attacks, and a free SiteGround security plugin.
To crown it all, SiteGround has outstanding customer service. Their support is available 24/7 and phone calls are mostly answered in seconds. They also have a live chat option with helpful and knowledgeable representatives.
Siteground offers users three WordPress hosting options:
- Startup: This plan costs £2.99 a month and can cater to 10,000 monthly visits with 10GB of disk space.
- GrowBig: This plan costs £4.99 per month and can cater to 25,000 visits monthly with a storage space of 20 GB.
- GoGeek: The GoGeek plan costs £9.99 a month and can support 100,000 visits monthly with a storage space of 40 GB.
- SiteGround offers consistent uptime of 99.9%.
- Extremely fast load time for UK WordPress sites.
- SiteGround has EU and UK-based servers, which aid in speed.
- Customer support response is extremely fast.
- SiteGround can only cater to small to mid-traffic visitors monthly.
- SiteGround uses a custom panel so may require a learning curve for users familiar with cPanel.
SiteGround is best for website owners with small or mid-sized monthly traffic looking for the best WordPress Hosting UK option.
Kinsta, one of the best WordPress hosting UK options, is great for agencies, developers, blogging, WooCommerce stores, and Enterprises. It is powered by Google Cloud, which enables lightning fast load times. Kinsta also features a 24/7 support team from experienced WordPress experts and free migration support.
They also offer a 30-day money-back guarantee. This WordPress hosting service has a data center in London, the United Kingdom with Google Cloud Platform for Speed coverage in the region. The dashboard is custom and feature-packed with easy-to-use features and you're able to manage all your websites from a single dashboard.
Kinsta also uses PHP 8.0, LXD containers, MariaDB, and Nginx on the Google cloud platform to give users lightning-fast load times. You also have access to automatic daily backups with Kinsta.
Kinsta has so many plans, so we will cover the most popular:
- Starter Plan: The Starter Plan costs $30 per month and can cater to 25,000 visits monthly as well as offers free CDN and SSL and 10 GB disk space.
- Pro Plan: The Pro Plan costs $60 per month and can support 50,000 visits, offers free CDN and SSL as well as 20 GB disk space.
- Business Plans: Kinsta offers 4 business plans, termed Business 1 to 4, and costs $100, $200, $300, and $400 respectively. The first plan supports 100,000 visits and the last business one supports 600,000 visits.
- Enterprise Plans: This WordPress Hosting service offers 4 Enterprise plans termed Enterprise1 to 4, which costs $600, $900, $1200, and $1500 per month respectively. The first Enterprise plan can support 1,000,000 visits and the last 3,000,000 visits.
- Kinsta has a London server along with other website speed boosters for WordPress users with UK traffic.
- The dashboard is very easy to use.
- Compared to other options on this list, Kinsta's pricing options are very expensive.
- Too many pricing options that may get confusing.
Kinsta is best for people with high-traffic websites and that aren't on a tight budget.
Bluehost is one of the best WordPress hosting UK options that's extremely affordable. And if you're searching for a WordPress-specific web host that's cheaper than a cup of coffee then Bluehost is a great choice to consider. After signing up for Bluehost you'll receive a free SSL certificate, 24/7 support, a free domain, and 1-click installs. They also offer a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Bluehost gives customers a lot of choices – whether you're after an e-commerce site or a blog, they have WordPress hosting plans that can aid you in achieving your goals. All their plans include resource protection, scalability, and website backups.
They also offer features like Cloudflare CDN and anti-spam protection as well as other features that you can take advantage of to boost your SEO and market your website.
Bluehost offers 3 pricing plans for WordPress:
- Shared Hosting: The Shared Hosting plan costs $2.95 per month and is great for bloggers or fresh websites
- Online Stores: Online Stores plan costs $12.95 per month and it's great for e-commerce store owners. It features WooCommerce hosting.
- Managed WordPress: This plan offers scalability and extreme performance for users with growing websites. It costs $9.95 per month.
- BlueHost offers a lot of choices and is suited to a wide range of users
- 24/7 support.
- Bluehost has Cloudflare CDN which can load websites from the United Kingdom.
- BlueHost server locations are not disclosed on their website. This brings concerns about how it'll function in terms of speed for certain nations. However, BlueHost offers Cloudflare CDN so if you have UK visitors, Cloudflare CDN will load your website from its UK location.
Bluehost is great for WordPress site owners who are looking for a hosting service with numerous options beyond a simple website.
Nexcess offers fully managed optimized WordPress hosting. It includes instant auto-scaling, built-in CDN, automated updates, one-click staging, and pre-installed plugins. Nexcess' built-in CDN is in 22 locations and features advanced caching for super-fast loading.
There are also no overage fees, metered pageviews, or traffic limits. You'll receive 24/7 WordPress expert support as well.
Nexcess offers so many plans so we'll cover the popular ones:
- Spark Plan: The Spark pricing plan costs $9.50 per month and supports 15 GB of storage.
- Maker Plan: This costs $29.50 per month and supports 40 GB storage.
- Designer Plan: The Designer Plan costs $54.50 per month and can support 60 GB of storage.
- Builder Plan: This plan costs $74.50 per month and can support 100 GB of storage.
- Producer Plan: The Producer Plan costs $149.50 per month and supports 300 GB of storage.
- Executive Plan: This costs $274.50 per month and can support 500 GB of storage.
- Nexcess has UK data centers, which will boost speed.
- This best WordPress hosting UK option offers a 30-day money-back guarantee in all plans.
- Built-in CDN for ultra-fast page loading.
- Backups are not daily but 30 days.
- It's a bit pricey in comparison to some others on this list.
This is a great option for WordPress site owners with multiple websites.
Hostinger provides a shared best WordPress hosting UK option and a 99.9% uptime guarantee. Their downtime and uptime record is publicly published across all their servers. This is a great step that gives customers the reassurance needed. The premium plan is quite cheap and provides unlimited bandwidth, weekly backups, unlimited website hosting, and a free domain. They offer all the features you may expect to find with popular web hosts like free SSL certificates on every plan and 1-click installations.
Hostinger provides great performance and speed as they have servers in the UK, an easy-to-use control panel, and user-friendly tools. So if you're searching for a very affordable WordPress web hosting that caters to small websites, online stores, and blogs, Hostinger is a great choice. They also have great customer service and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Hostinger offers 4 pricing packages:
- Single WordPress: The Single WordPress plan is a great choice for beginners and costs £1.99 per month.
- WordPress Starter: The WordPress Starter plan is excellent for portfolios and personal websites and costs £2.99 per month.
- Business WordPress: The business WordPress pricing plan it's great for small and medium businesses and costs £3.99 per month.
- WordPress Pro: This plan is optimized for small and medium businesses and costs £6.89 per month.
- For beginners and professionals, Hostinger offers a simple-to-use control panel.
- Hostinger has servers in the UK.
- Hostinger web hosting is optimized for WordPress.
- They use LightSpeed Enterprise servers, which are one of the fastest web servers in the industry.
- All WordPress installations come with the LSCWP cache plugin and this ensures that your WordPress site works 4 times faster in combination with LightSpeed Enterprise servers.
- Very affordable.
- If you have a high-traffic website this option won't be the best.
Hosting is best for WordPress website owners with small to mid-traffic levels.
DreamHost provides users with scalable web hosting for numerous website needs. Whether you're searching for shared hosting, WordPress hosting, cloud dedicated servers, or VPS hosting, DreamHost has a lot of features that can cater to you.
This best WordPress hosting UK option offers many interesting features but most of them come at an additional cost. WordPress site owners just starting, for example, may not want to pay a lot of additional costs just to boost optimization or performance when such options are most times available without cost on other hosts.
That said, some of their compelling features include unlimited bandwidth, 50 GB storage space, quick live chat response time, and a free domain. If you do decide to opt for this host, they have numerous managed services that can fit the boxes for security scans, updates, and backups.
The control panel is also user-friendly, and the support team is available 24/7 and provides WordPress-specific solutions. The cost to upgrade the basic plan (which pretty much offers what you need if you are just starting) to the next one takes quite the leap. And this may be uncomfortable for some users.
The major con about this WordPress hosting UK option is that it only has servers in the United States. This means if your traffic comes from the UK there may be some speed issues.
DreamHost offers 3 pricing plans for WordPress, but we'll look at WordPress Basic and DreamPress, which are the most popular currently:
The WordPress basic pricing plan offers two packages:
- WordPress Starter: The WordPress Starter package is WordPress hosting at an entry-level price for a fresh website. It costs $2.59 per month and can host unlimited traffic, offers a free SSL certificate, fast SSD storage as well as a free domain.
- WordPress Unlimited: The WordPress Unlimited plan is excellent for users who have many WordPress websites. Its pricing starts at $3.95 per month and it offers unlimited traffic, free SSL certificate, fast SSD storage, free domain, and unlimited websites.
The DreamPress pricing plan offers 3 packages within it:
- DreamPress: This plan starts at $16.95 per month and can cater to 100,000 visitors monthly, provides 30 GB SSD storage, unmetered bandwidth, pre-installed SSL certificate, daily and on-demand backups, and much more.
- DreamPress Plus: This plan costs $24.95 per month and is great for WordPress site owners looking to scale. It can support 300,000 monthly visitors, provides 60 GB of SSD storage, 24/7 WordPress support, Unlimited CDN, and lots more.
- DreamPress Pro: This plan is for WordPress site owners that require extreme performance. It costs $71.95 per month and can support 1 million monthly visitors, provides 120 GB SSD storage, 24/7 priority WordPress support, unlimited CDN, and much more.
- DreamPress offers plans that can cater to starter websites and high-traffic websites.
- DreamPress provides a free domain and unlimited CDN in some plans.
- Scalable hosting options
- They have an easy-to-use control panel.
- Their plans get a little pricing for mid-level traffic and high-level traffic.
- They offer priority support for some plans, which means you have to belong to such plans to benefit.
- DreamHost only has servers in the United States.
Dreampress is best for WordPress site owners with mid to high traffic numbers.
Best WordPress Hosting UK Option: Conclusion
When choosing the best WordPress Hosting UK option for your website you have to consider factors like speed, server location, CDN availability, and backup frequency.
Also, options like Kinsta and SiteGround provide additional speed boosters for quicker load times and this puts them ahead of most choices. Also, if you're on a tight budget, SiteGround is a great pick as its plans are affordable.
You should also keep in mind your traffic volume. SiteGround and Hostinger for example work best for small and medium traffic websites. If you need a host option that supports high traffic numbers, then Kinsta and DreamPress would be great.
The best pick for your WordPress site depends on the above considerations and unique ones like traffic numbers.